Questions to ask a wedding band
Questions to ask a Wedding Band
It’s important to ask as many questions as possible when booking any wedding supplier.
This is by no means an exhaustive list of things you should ask but it’s a good place to start, and should at least generate some discussion if you get stuck…
- How much do you charge, in total (with no hidden extras), to play at my venue and what does this include or exclude?
- What is your cancellation/postponement policy?
- How much is the deposit and when’s it due? How do you prefer to be paid?
- Can I get my deposit back if there’s a problem? Is there a cutoff point for this?
- When is the balance due?
- Is the band that I audition, the exact same band as I will have on the night?
- Will you learn a song for me?
- Do you play requests?
- Do you allow members of the audience/wedding party to join you onstage for songs?
- Do you have public liability insurance? Can I get a copy of the cover note before I pay the deposit?
- How long have the band played together?
- When can we come and see you play at a wedding (important)?
- Are we (the couple) expected to have anything organised with the venue for you?
- Will the band organise their requirements with the venue?
- Do you play the first dance, or use a CD? Who provides the CD and CD Player?
- Do you know the wedding venue? Have you played there before? Location of sockets, stage, moving equipment etc
- Do you bring any spare kit with you?
- What do you typically wear when you play weddings?
- How long does it take to setup?
- How many band members are performing? Will they fit on the venue’s stage or will they need more staging?
- Do you provide your own stage lighting or special effects?
- How long do you play? What if the speeches run on longer than expected or finish earlier than expected?
- Do you take breaks? What happens then?
- Do you provide a DJ service as well?
- What happens if a band member is sick, or if you can’t play? If it’s the singer, who’s the replacement, and can we see them play, or if not,do you have a sample video of them?
- What’s your backup plan for equipment failure or illness?
- How do you ensure a comfortable sound level for all the guests? Do you have a sound engineer?
- Do you interact with the crowd, play party games etc?
- Do you cater for a crowd of all ages?